Information for New Suppliers
Procedures for a New Company to Sell Distilled Spirits in North Carolina

Basic Guidelines to assist new companies with the listing of spirituous liquor.

              Case Code Label Requirements / Pallet Specifications
              ABC Warehouse Special Service Charges

The ABC Commission at its twice yearly meetings (January & July) considers product(s) for listing. New companies, who wish to sell distilled spirits in the State of North Carolina, must be represented by a resident North Carolina Broker. The broker (chosen by you) will make the presentation of your product(s). The markup formula used by North Carolina can be found on the  Liquor Supplier's / Distiller's Price Filing Quotation Form .

The broker will inform you if the product(s) has been approved.

Once a product is approved, the ABC warehouse will assign it an allocation. The warehouse, not the ABC Commission, sets policies regarding deliveries.

The company is required by the NCABC Commission to complete the forms below and send to the appropriate address on EACH form .


A new company has approximately two (2) months from the product listing with the Commission to the selling date during which to meet the requirements below. New products can be shipped into the State ABC Warehouse two weeks prior to the quarter in which it is listed.

  1. Two original completed copies of the Application for Basic Permit Under Federal Alcohol Administration Act (item F 5100.24) must be sent to the address on the form. Please note, Address 1. (Premise Address) is YOUR SUPPLIER/COMPANY name, the State warehouse address - 404 East Tryon RD, Raleigh, NC 27610. (This is your address for your liquor. North Carolina is a bailment state. We do not take ownership of the liquor.) Address 2. (Mailing Address) is YOUR mailing address. This permit is required by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (ATTB) to authorize the company to possess and store products in North Carolina at the State ABC Warehouse, located at 404 East Tryon Road, Raleigh, NC 27610. (Send two original completed forms.) NO products can be shipped until the original Federal Basic Permit is on file with the ABC Warehouse .
    Customer Service
  2. If you are a CORPORATION, apply for the Application for Certificate of Authority (item B-09). If you are a LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LLC), apply for the Application for Certificate of Authority (item L-09). These are required for an out-of-state supplier / distiller to transact business in North Carolina.  (The company NAME on the form MUST match what is on the original Certificate of existence (periods included.) The ORIGINAL Certificate of existence must be sent with the application to the State Treasurer. Both will be returned to you. We suggest sending this overnight. If you are a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or SELF PROPRIETORSHIP , file your application with the Register of Deeds in Wake County, North Carolina. A copy of the appropriate document must be provided to the Commission upon receipt.
  3. Send to the ABC Commission a completed Application for Supplier / Distiller Permit. This form must be filed with the ABC Commission and a permit number must be issued before shipments can begin.

© Copyright 2016 | North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission | All rights reserved